Sunday, September 7, 2008

Nina Simone

Hello! How you doin' today?!
Good?
Good...

That lovely lady is Nina Simone. A piano playing singer/song writer type of gal. Look at her...aint she wonderful already?! I think so, too. And you aint even heard nothin' yet. Nina Simone has a history that is simply marvelous. She started recording back in 1958 and didn't stop until the 80's. She has a reputation for not being particulary attached to a certain style or genre of music. So talented is she that even when listening to her version of "Strange Fruit", one can almost imagine a ray of hope and sunshine in her voice.Put your seatbelt on when you listen to that song, by the way. That song is devasting to behold. It was originally a Billy Holiday classic, as I recall.

Nina Simones most famous recording, I think, was when she did Gershwins " I loves you Porgy" from the Porgy and Bess soundtrack. Anyway...I could go on forever about Nina Simone!
So I'll stop right here and maybe continue this later on...

Nina Simone - I Love You Porgy-
-G. Gershwin

No comments: